What do you think about today's article "Without Emotion"?
Hi, all: I would like to see how you reacted to today's article "Without Emotion." Please post you reaction and comments here when you finish writing your preliminary responses.
After reading this article, I feel that it is worth pondering over that why we, human beings, paint this world a cruel face--a youth needs to keep practicing killing animals without emotion to become a soldier. People do have emotion, and it’s a part of humanity. However, in reality people have to depress or deprive of their inmost feelings to survive in the battle. We cannot go back to the Eden, but should we continue to have wars and let the disastrous monsters control, deceive, and even define our lives?
A flow of pain was surged over my heart, after reading the article " Without Emotion." a living creature lives with sense so living. What make us humanlize and be distinguished man from animal? We can think. What make us think? We might be stimulated by what we see or what we get through with emotional reaction.If we don't have any emotional feeling, what would we be like? Apathetic and ferocious might be.
"The war is horrible." That’s what came to my mind when I finished reading this article. Why would someone have to be trained as a killer? Killing isn’t the best way to solve problems; did they really need to let things went this far? I feel so sorry for those soldiers who had to kill without emotion. Taking other people's life is the cruelest thing to do, so I think it’s impossible to feel nothing. What would we become if we kill with a cold heart? Hearts without souls, we would be just like other animals.
After reading this writer's experience, I was shocked by the description of the killing and the bloody haunting. However, thinking about that period of time, it was in World War 2. So it was necessary to develop that skill in order to be a brave soldier or a patriot though it was really cruel. It was possible to be a cold-blooded killer by practicing how to kill animals again and again firstly, but at the same time, the person would surely suffer the struggle in his/her own mind. In my opinion, people would be changed and affected by the surroundings where they lived. In short, every age had its own tragedy.
Liddy’s hands reeking with blood, his article left me such kind of discomfort. The haunting scenes he described had totally made me experience as if the same like him. Killing innocent animals is not what a hero will do, and it doesn’t prove any integrity either. It is difficult for girls to stop thinking about how the dying squirrel suffered after a bad shot. Perhaps a right shot at head could be painless and more merciful, doesn’t it? Should a man get through all those trials as preparation before battlefield? By this article we could see the state of chaos at that time, what had war struck people’s lives that even a kid was influenced and taken killing animals as childhood game or sort of war training. The chicken slaughtering process had reminded me of my childhood memory. I saw it while the ax holding on my dad’s hand. How he made his full strength to press on the chicken limps to avoid its convulsion in causing any blood-flying had startled me at first. And then the crying of the chicken would make me hardly think of it sometimes. But since it is an irreplaceable fact that chicken is our main food supply, time has gradually made me forget its sinfulness of eating it. So, here is a contradiction between to kill or not to kill. What I can say is I can’t kill without emotion, no matter a squirrel or a chicken.
Because of wars , people of that times become colder and colder. The original sympathy in everyone's mind dissapear. I think it is horrible. For protecting the country , even for surving , the author choosed to disobey his real mind , forcing himself to become a cruel man. I think he still want to be a kind person , but that circumstances ,times don't allow people to keep any kindness. However , I still think that learning how to "kill a chicken" cannot compare to "kill a man". This is totally different. To kill a man is more cruel than to kill a chiken. After reading the article , I feel the author just have no choice but to yeild to his destiny.
After reading this article, I feel a sense of tension and fearness. I can even imagine the hard time during the world war. It seems that when the war breaks out, everyone has to be well-prepared to fight againstthe enemies, even the children who are still in their teenage.The auther tries to kill without emotions in order to combat in the war. I think a child's purity and innocence has been totally eliminated.There is no pity and compassion during the war time. Everyone fights for their own life.The relationship and friendship among people are no longer the value that people will care about.I can hardly judge whether this action "kill without emotions" is right or wrong because maybe I will do the same thing when I am involved in the war.I think I will do everything, even to kill the enemies , though they are also human,to protect my family and of course, myself.^^
After reading this article, I feel a sense of tension and fearness. I can even imagine the hard time during the world war. It seems that when the war breaks out, everyone has to be well-prepared to fight againstthe enemies, even the children who are still in their teenage.The auther tries to kill without emotions in order to combat in the war. I think a child's purity and innocence has been totally eliminated.There is no pity and compassion during the war time. Everyone fights for their own life.The relationship and friendship among people are no longer the value that people will care about.I can hardly judge whether this action "kill without emotions" is right or wrong because maybe I will do the same thing when I am involved in the war.I think I will do everything, even to kill the enemies , though they are also human,to protect my family and of course, myself.^^
I feel it’s really cruel for a child to practice killing chickens and squirrels in order to survive in the war. I was shocked not only the process of killing chickens but also the suffering of the author. How can a child in his age stand those horrible experiences? Children should be innocent and naïve. However, I still admire the author’s courage. Most of teenagers are afraid of wars so some of them may try to run away from the town to avoid going to wars. I was touched by the determination of the author to survive. I can’t even promise that I will have enough courage if I were him. Furthermore, wars at that time are definitely influential to human beings. Wars mess people’s lives; children grow up with miserable childhood. What’s more, it’s a tragedy that children learn to kill animals just for killing enemies in wars. If I cannot kill animals without any hesitation, how can I kill a man? I really sympathize the author and feel fortunate that I was born in a peaceful time. Everyone has his own fate and the author chose a positive way to combat the fate. He’s a hero, for he faced the hardship bravely.
Actually,in the beginning of the article, I felt a little angry about that, not only because the author killed a living animal, but also because how coucld he killed a creature so easy. However, as I read it, I really started to feel that the author was piteous and forgivable. We are very lucky to be born and live in a RELATIVE peaceful world and era; therefore, we couldn't REALLY understand the things happening in that time. What we know about that painful period and history is from the books and some documents. However, we still must know the history, because we humen sould learn from errors in the past to prevent from committing those errors again and again in the future. Just as the saying goes''History can be forgiven, nevertheless, it must not be forgetten! I really hope that our descendants can know what are wars only from the museums!
reflection At first, when I read through the essay, I feel the author is brutal and blindness. He shots the squirrel just for fun, and he does not have pity for the torture which the squirrel is suffered. On the contrary, he gives the squirrel another deadly shot. In his concept, if he can kill an animal successfully, he will not scare anymore when he goes to the war. Therefore, he conquers his fearfulness and takes another chance- to learn how to kill a chicken. When I read his article, I can almost imagine the scene because he describes it so vividly. Not only I but also my classmates are feel it is so disgusting and cruel. For example, the chicken can not bear the torture anymore and it will run away with out its head. This makes me think of does human has the right to deprive other creature’s lives. Should we kill those poor animals just for our dinner or they are so delicious. Hence, I am absolutely support everyone should quit eating meat and be a vegetarian. Furthermore, I am sneer at the author’s concept. Why he thinks kill a man is as easy as kill an animal? Killing men is committed a crime and even genocide. However, when I think of the era which writer lives, I consider everyone is easily affected by the period they live. As a consequence, the writer is so concentrate on learning how to kill.
After reading this writer's experience, I was shocked by the description of killing chickens. Since I am afraid of birds especially, I felt disgusting of the process of killing chickens. Must say, I am also sympathetic over the author’s tragedy because he could not choose his way to live in that time. I think people have different thoughts in different time, so I am not equal to judge whether his choice or behavior is wrong or not.
After readind this article, the first thought come into my mind is that wars are really terrible things in the world . Ican hardly image that a kind person eventually turn out to be a coldblood man. But ask ourself, if we are born to be in the man's age, what will us do in that difficult situation?If the man does't learn how to be a bloodless man, maybe he will be the ghost under the enimies blades like the chickens bleed themself to die. As an idiom says,"A man driven to desperation can do anything." In order to protect himself, he trains himself to be more coldblood and stronger to prepare for the unknown future. I think that's behavior is what we call "self- defense". On the other hand, this kind of defensive instinct may be a good improvement to our abilities.
13 comments:
After reading this article, I feel that it is worth pondering over that why we, human beings, paint this world a cruel face--a youth needs to keep practicing killing animals without emotion to become a soldier. People do have emotion, and it’s a part of humanity. However, in reality people have to depress or deprive of their inmost feelings to survive in the battle. We cannot go back to the Eden, but should we continue to have wars and let the disastrous monsters control, deceive, and even define our lives?
A flow of pain was surged over my heart, after reading the article " Without Emotion." a living creature lives with sense so living. What make us humanlize and be distinguished man from animal? We can think. What make us think? We might be stimulated by what we see or what we get through with emotional reaction.If we don't have any emotional feeling, what would we be like? Apathetic and ferocious might be.
"The war is horrible." That’s what came to my mind when I finished reading this article. Why would someone have to be trained as a killer? Killing isn’t the best way to solve problems; did they really need to let things went this far? I feel so sorry for those soldiers who had to kill without emotion. Taking other people's life is the cruelest thing to do, so I think it’s impossible to feel nothing. What would we become if we kill with a cold heart? Hearts without souls, we would be just like other animals.
After reading this writer's experience, I was shocked by the description of the killing and the bloody haunting. However, thinking about that period of time, it was in World War 2. So it was necessary to develop that skill in order to be a brave soldier or a patriot though it was really cruel. It was possible to be a cold-blooded killer by practicing how to kill animals again and again firstly, but at the same time, the person would surely suffer the struggle in his/her own mind. In my opinion, people would be changed and affected by the surroundings where they lived. In short, every age had its own tragedy.
Liddy’s hands reeking with blood, his article left me such kind of discomfort. The haunting scenes he described had totally made me experience as if the same like him.
Killing innocent animals is not what a hero will do, and it doesn’t prove any integrity either. It is difficult for girls to stop thinking about how the dying squirrel suffered after a bad shot. Perhaps a right shot at head could be painless and more merciful, doesn’t it? Should a man get through all those trials as preparation before battlefield? By this article we could see the state of chaos at that time, what had war struck people’s lives that even a kid was influenced and taken killing animals as childhood game or sort of war training.
The chicken slaughtering process had reminded me of my childhood memory. I saw it while the ax holding on my dad’s hand. How he made his full strength to press on the chicken limps to avoid its convulsion in causing any blood-flying had startled me at first. And then the crying of the chicken would make me hardly think of it sometimes. But since it is an irreplaceable fact that chicken is our main food supply, time has gradually made me forget its sinfulness of eating it.
So, here is a contradiction between to kill or not to kill.
What I can say is I can’t kill without emotion, no matter a squirrel or a chicken.
>_ <
Because of wars , people of that times become colder and colder. The original sympathy in everyone's mind dissapear. I think it is horrible.
For protecting the country , even for surving , the author choosed to disobey his real mind , forcing himself to become a cruel man. I think he still want to be a kind person , but that circumstances ,times don't allow people to keep any kindness.
However , I still think that learning how to "kill a chicken" cannot compare to "kill a man". This is totally different. To kill a man is more cruel than to kill a chiken.
After reading the article , I feel the author just have no choice but to yeild to his destiny.
After reading this article, I feel a sense of tension and fearness. I can even imagine the hard time during the world war. It seems that when the war breaks out, everyone has to be well-prepared to fight againstthe enemies, even the children who are still in their teenage.The auther tries to kill without emotions in order to combat in the war. I think a child's purity and innocence has been totally eliminated.There is no pity and compassion during the war time. Everyone fights for their own life.The relationship and friendship among people are no longer the value that people will care about.I can hardly judge whether this action "kill without emotions" is right or wrong because maybe I will do the same thing when I am involved in the war.I think I will do everything, even to kill the enemies , though they are also human,to protect my family and of course, myself.^^
After reading this article, I feel a sense of tension and fearness. I can even imagine the hard time during the world war. It seems that when the war breaks out, everyone has to be well-prepared to fight againstthe enemies, even the children who are still in their teenage.The auther tries to kill without emotions in order to combat in the war. I think a child's purity and innocence has been totally eliminated.There is no pity and compassion during the war time. Everyone fights for their own life.The relationship and friendship among people are no longer the value that people will care about.I can hardly judge whether this action "kill without emotions" is right or wrong because maybe I will do the same thing when I am involved in the war.I think I will do everything, even to kill the enemies , though they are also human,to protect my family and of course, myself.^^
I feel it’s really cruel for a child to practice killing chickens and squirrels in order to survive in the war. I was shocked not only the process of killing chickens but also the suffering of the author. How can a child in his age stand those horrible experiences? Children should be innocent and naïve. However, I still admire the author’s courage. Most of teenagers are afraid of wars so some of them may try to run away from the town to avoid going to wars. I was touched by the determination of the author to survive. I can’t even promise that I will have enough courage if I were him. Furthermore, wars at that time are definitely influential to human beings. Wars mess people’s lives; children grow up with miserable childhood. What’s more, it’s a tragedy that children learn to kill animals just for killing enemies in wars. If I cannot kill animals without any hesitation, how can I kill a man? I really sympathize the author and feel fortunate that I was born in a peaceful time. Everyone has his own fate and the author chose a positive way to combat the fate. He’s a hero, for he faced the hardship bravely.
Actually,in the beginning of the article, I felt a little angry about that, not only because the author killed a living animal, but also because how coucld he killed a creature so easy. However, as I read it, I really started to feel that the author was piteous and forgivable. We are very lucky to be born and live in a RELATIVE peaceful world and era; therefore, we couldn't REALLY understand the things happening in that time. What we know about that painful period and history is from the books and some documents. However, we still must know the history, because we humen sould learn from errors in the past to prevent from committing those errors again and again in the future. Just as the saying goes''History can be forgiven, nevertheless, it must not be forgetten! I really hope that our descendants can know what are wars only from the museums!
reflection
At first, when I read through the essay, I feel the author is brutal and blindness. He shots the squirrel just for fun, and he does not have pity for the torture which the squirrel is suffered. On the contrary, he gives the squirrel another deadly shot. In his concept, if he can kill an animal successfully, he will not scare anymore when he goes to the war. Therefore, he conquers his fearfulness and takes another chance- to learn how to kill a chicken. When I read his article, I can almost imagine the scene because he describes it so vividly. Not only I but also my classmates are feel it is so disgusting and cruel. For example, the chicken can not bear the torture anymore and it will run away with out its head. This makes me think of does human has the right to deprive other creature’s lives. Should we kill those poor animals just for our dinner or they are so delicious. Hence, I am absolutely support everyone should quit eating meat and be a vegetarian. Furthermore, I am sneer at the author’s concept. Why he thinks kill a man is as easy as kill an animal? Killing men is committed a crime and even genocide. However, when I think of the era which writer lives, I consider everyone is easily affected by the period they live. As a consequence, the writer is so concentrate on learning how to kill.
After reading this writer's experience, I was shocked by the description of killing chickens. Since I am afraid of birds especially, I felt disgusting of the process of killing chickens. Must say, I am also sympathetic over the author’s tragedy because he could not choose his way to live in that time. I think people have different thoughts in different time, so I am not equal to judge whether his choice or behavior is wrong or not.
After readind this article, the first thought come into my mind is that wars are really terrible things in the world . Ican hardly image that a kind person eventually turn out to be a coldblood man. But ask ourself, if we are born to be in the man's age, what will us do in that difficult situation?If the man does't learn how to be a bloodless man, maybe he will be the ghost under the enimies blades like the chickens bleed themself to die.
As an idiom says,"A man driven to desperation can do anything." In order to protect himself, he trains himself to be more coldblood and stronger to prepare for the unknown future. I think that's behavior is what we call "self- defense". On the other hand, this kind of defensive instinct may be a good improvement to our abilities.
Post a Comment